We eat a lot of tortillas around here. Burritos, tacos, quesadillas, wraps…and I unshamefully admit that I love tortillas with melted butter in them. Comfort food to the max. Anyone else? No? Just me? There’s reasons why I didn’t marry a doctor.
But back to these healthy tortillas..
…drizzled in butter…
I found a few recipes that looked yummy, but I wanted something that was delicious but super healthy. Maybe even vegan. So after a bit of tweaking, I made a tortilla that was vegan, healthy, hearty, but still soft and yummy. Plus it’s really versatile.
Wheat and flax-meal tortillas
*this recipe calls for 2 cups of flour, please use any combination of flours you want*
1 cup of white flour
1/2 cup of wheat flour
1/2 cup of ground flax-meal
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup of avocado oil
1 tsp of baking powder
1/2 cup of warm water
1) Sift the flours, salt and baking powder into a large mixing bowl.
2) Add oil and mix with your fingertips or spoon to combine.
3) Add water, and mix into the dough until a sticky ball forms.
4) Cover and let it rest for at least 30 minutes.
5) Divide the dough into 8-10 balls for small tortillas or 4-6 balls for larger ones, cover them again with the damp cloth.
6) Lightly dust a counter with flour and roll out each ball of dough into a somewhat round shape. Roll out as thin as you can. Don’t roll the dough out more than once or the tortillas will be tough.
7) Heat pan or cast iron skillet over high heat for 5 minutes. Cook the tortillas 30 seconds on each side or until slightly browned. Cover the tortillas in foil or a damp cloth and place them in a warm oven.